Mexican Black Bean Soup with Lime and Cilantro
From Biggest Loser Recipes
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 small jalapeno chile, stemmed and minced (don't use the seeds)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
12-ounce bottle beer
(3) 15-ounce cans black beans*, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons lime juice
Low fat yogurt
4 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
1. Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and jalapeno and cook until garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add a sprinkle of water if needed to keep from sticking.
2. Add cumin, chili powder, and salt to taste and cook, stirring frequently, until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Pour beer and 1 cup water into pot. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer until alcohol aroma fades, about 3 minutes.
4. Add beans and bring mixture back to a boil.
5. Remove 2 cups of beans from pan and puree in a blender. Return to pan.
6. Stir in lime juice and salt to taste. Reheat if necessary.
7. Serve soup in bowls, swirl with yogurt, and sprinkle with cilantro.