Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Loaded Baked Potato Soup
From the Kitchen of Tiffani Hampton

6 large baking potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
1 large onion, chopped and sautéed
1 quart chicken broth (I used water and chicken bouillon cubes since I
didn't have stock on hand)
3 cloves garlic, minced (or pressed)
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 teaspoons salt (I used slightly less)
1 teaspoon pepper (I used more)
1 cup cream or half-and-half cream
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (I used more to help thicken)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 cup sour cream (I only used about 1/2 cup)
8 slices bacon, fried & crumbled (I used more)
cheese, for sprinkling
I added Cayenne pepper to taste
I also added Cornstarch for thickening

PREPARATION:
Fry the bacon in a pan. Set bacon aside and save a small amount of the
bacon drippings to sauté the onions in.

Combine first seven ingredients in a large crockpot; cover and cook on
HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (potato should be tender).

Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soupy is slightly
thickened. Stir in cream, cheese, sour cream, and chives. (i also
added some of the crumbled bacon). Add cornstarch to thicken if you
want (place some cornstarch in a bowl and then add some of the soup to
the bowl, mix, add more soup, mix...once cornstarch is nicely
dissolved, add to the crock pot and stir).

sprinkle with bacon and more cheese when served.

No comments: