Old Time Chicken Divan
by: Ellen Elizabeth Jackman
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour
Yields: 4 servings
2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sherry
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
2 cooked chicken breast halves - bones and skin removed, cut
into 1/4 inch slices
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli, and cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and rinse well with cold water to chill. Place drained broccoli into a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until the flour begins to turn from white, to a pale beige, about 3 minutes. Whisk in sherry, chicken broth, and heavy cream until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour half of the hot cream sauce over the broccoli and top with chicken slices. Stir Parmesan cheese into the remaining sauce, and pour over the chicken slices. Sprinkle top with extra cheese, if desired.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until heated through, then broil for a few minutes until top has turned golden brown.