Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Best Tomato Soup



The Best Tomato Soup
From the kitchen of Kristin Sumption given to her by Liz Haas

2 large cans of Hunt's Tomato Sauce (the big boys, I cant remember how many ounces that is)
1/4 Gallon Whole Milk
1 Stick of Butter
1/2 Cup Flour
1 Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon (Chicken Base)
2 Dashes of each; Garlic Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder (I use a lot more pepper, but you can just do it to taste)
1 Box of pastini or star noodles

In a large pot, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Slowly add tomato sauce, mixing with a whisk. Whisk in milk. Add in the bullion and bring to a simmer. Then add your spices and 1 cup of water.

Make pastini as directed, drain water, add in lots of fresh parmesan, a dash of garlic salt and parsley

**Okay, so when I made this here are a couple changes I made:
I used everything organic
I used 4, 15 oz tomato Sauce Cans b/c I couldn't find the big size in Organic
I used 2 cups whole milk and 2 cups 1% milk (I will probably use 1 cup whole milk and 3 cups 1% next time) ***See newest modifications below
I used Organic Chicken Low Sodium Better Than Bouillon
I used 4 dashes of Garlic Salt and Onion Powder and A LOT of pepper (probably close to 2 tsps)
I also used 1 cup of Organic Chicken Broth instead of the 1 cup of water...just wanted to add a little more flavor b/c I used unsalted butter and low sodium Chicken Bouillon

And I followed all of the directions and just left it on the stove over low heat until we were ready to eat and stirred it every 15 minutes or so, to make sure it didn't stick to the bottom of the pot.


**I also now make this soup with 4 cups of rice milk, instead of the whole milk, when I'm trying to lower the dairy content.

No comments: