Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Beef Stew

Beef Stew
From the Kitchen of Donna Rowell

Stew Meat
Pam
1 onion (minced)
Lawry's Beef Stew seasoning pkt
1 can Campbell's Beef Consomme
1 can beef broth (I usually use 1.5 to 2 boxes of broth, organic of course)
2 cups water
Potatoes, peeled and diced (as many as you want...I usually use 2-3 Large potatoes)
Carrots, peeled and diced (as many as you want...I usually use 1/2 to 3/4 of a bag of fresh carrots)
1 small bag of frozen peas
3T cornstarch + 1/4 cup of water

Directions:

For the stew I buy stew meat from Costco or I buy a round steak or even a chuck roast and cut up the meat into chunks. Then I spray my pan with Pam and add some olive oil and brown the meat with a cut up onion.
Next I add the Lawry's Beef Stew seasoning packet and add a can of Campbell's Beef Consomme and a can of beef broth and two cups of water and cover and cook for about an hour. Next I add cut up potatoes (when I am in a hurry I even use canned cut up potatoes) and carrots and cook till tender. If I need to, I add more water. Then I add frozen peas to the top and allow them to kind of "steam". Then I thicken with cornstarch ( I put about 1/4 cup of water with 3 T of cornstarch mixed together). Stir and thicken - allow to cook for 5 mins and serve...


Stephanie's Modifications:
***I now omit the beef consomme and add a box of beef broth in it's place....I just add a bit more cornstarch to help thicken it at the end. When all is said and done, I use three boxes of beef broth. I also use two of the Lawry's seasoning pkts. I am working on trying to make my own seasoning mix, but for now I still use these pkts b/c they've removed the msg and this brand has less bad stuff than the others.

No comments: