Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sugo Rosso

Sugo Rosso (Red Sauce. That is what it was always called where I served. I've heard it called Ragu, Sugo di Carne--Meat Sauce. Call it what you like, I'm not particular)
From the Kitchen of Cali Jo Hawkins

In large sauce pan, cook over medium-high heat until onions are soft:
2 TB olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
1/2 of medium onion or 1 small onion chopped fine

Add and cook until sausage is no longer pink:
1/2 package Johnsonville Brand Sweet Italian Sausage (It is made with Sweet Basil), push out of casings and break into small chunks (I have only seen this at Walmart or Winco. You can also use Mild or Hot Italian Sausage, but it will give your sauce a spicier flavor with a hint of licorice from the fennel in the sausage, which I really don't like. I prefer the sweet basil flavor)
2 finely chopped carrots
1 finely chopped celery stick

Stir in one 14 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes and 2 small cans of tomato sauce
Add 1 dried bay leaf, basil, parsley (If using fresh herbs add them at the end of cook time)

Simmer on low heat stirring occasionally for 3-5 hours
Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve with cooked pasta and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Variations:
Add 1 small carton HEAVY whipping cream for a creamier pink sauce and heat through just before serving. This is one of my favorite ways to eat pasta!

No comments: